Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Lindsey Blog #10!!!

Well this is my last blog…finally. I’m kind of sad, but not really. It has been a blast in France and I made memories that I will never forget. Honestly coming into this experience, I did not know how I was going to react, but coming out of it I think that it was great and I maintained composure. But here it goes my last and final story.
We took an overnight trip to the Normandy region of France. When we got here we spent time in Honfleur, which was a very quant city known for its Apple Cider. (FYI this was AMAZING!)

This is snapshot of the city of Honfleur.
Anyways, after spending the night in the city the next day was filled with riding on our short blue bus and sightseeing. We made our way to saint Michel’s, which was one of the most amazing sights in France thus far. Driving towards this monastery was amazing, just a giant hill in the middle of nowhere with a massive church on the top.



We stayed here for the morning until about lunch time and then made another two hour journey to the American Cemetery. This was also another highlight of the trip, because its an American cemetery. For the French to give my Country a piece of their country to recognize lost American soldiers was a really respectable gesture. We got to see the many crosses in place of those that fought, the beached in which they stormed onto and different monuments.

I got a really unique feeling being here. You read about wars and see pictures from wars, but until you are really there and see the reality of it all, you don’t understand the vast impact it has on you personally. And for WWII it was the entire world, so it affected so many people and I just really found a new respect for France since they respected my country.
Anyways, Normandy was a great adventure. We eventually made it back to Paris where we were left to say our goodbyes. It was a sad feeling, but I was staying a bit longer with my family to enjoy some more of Paris. I honestly would recommend Study Abroad to any student anywhere. You not only learn a lot about the country you are in, but you learn a lot about yourself. You learn what is important to you and what you can live with or without and find your true independence. I am now back in the United States am ready to make my way back to the country filled with pink toilet paper, pointy noses and snails.

No comments:

Post a Comment